How to Negotiate a Car Accident Injury Claim with American Family Insurance | Fort Collins Injury Lawyers
Call (800) 863-5312 for Your Free Case Evaluation
American Family Insurance, often abbreviated as AmFam, is a private insurance company that offers a wide range of insurance coverage. AmFam’s revenues were over $8.7 billion in 2016. Like all insurance companies, AmFam knows how to make money and does so by minimizing payouts for insurance claims. As a result, AmFam can be difficult to negotiate with when you are trying to get the compensation you deserve after an accident.
AmFam has been in business since 1923, which means it has almost a century of experience dealing with claims. To ensure you receive a fair settlement, you should prepare before you even begin speaking with the company.
Our team of experienced lawyers has received many fair settlements from American Family Insurance, and we’re ready to help you. If you or a loved one needs to negotiate with American Family Insurance, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 for a 100% free case evaluation with our Colorado personal injury attorneys.
Opening a Claim with American Family Insurance
To receive a settlement from AmFam, you first have to file a claim. Luckily, this process is fairly easy. You can open a claim on AmFam’s website by filling out a form.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Your name, address, and phone number
- Your American Family Insurance policy number
- The date and time of the accident
- A brief description of what happened
- Insurance and contact information for others involved
If you are uncomfortable providing this information online, you can also call AmFam 24/7 at 1-800-MYAMFAM.
After you’ve opened a claim, AmFam will reach out to you. Their first offer will most likely be low. You should not jump to accept it. If AmFam is not offering you a fair settlement, you should negotiate.
How to Negotiate with AmFam
- Do Your Homework. You should not speak with AmFam if you are not sure how much you need from an insurance settlement. Estimate how much you need to cover any costs that have resulted from your accident. You can include the cost of medical bills, including checkups, physical therapy, counseling, and the emergency room, the estimated cost to repair your car, any lost wages from missing work, and even pain and suffering.
- Stick to Your Guns. Now that you have calculated how much you need, keep that number in mind as your minimum settlement payout. Do not settle for anything less. You deserve to return to your pre-accident life. AmFam, like all insurance companies, wants you to take a low payout so they can make more money. Refuse to accept less than you deserve.
- Justify Your Counteroffer. When you reject an offer from AmFam, explain why. Remind your claims adjuster of what you need to get back to normal. Explain what that number entails and reiterate how the accident has impacted your life.
- Keep Your Guard Up. Be careful not to say anything that could be used against you. If you feel uncomfortable or uncertain during a conversation, ask to call back another time when you are more prepared.
- Be Professional. It is easy to get frustrated when dealing with claims adjusters, but try to remain calm and polite. Claims adjusters are more likely to take you seriously when you treat them as an equal.
Get Help from Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers
Having a great team is the best way to receive a fair settlement from American Family Insurance.
The attorneys at Zinda Law Group know how to navigate the claims process with AmFam. We have experience negotiating on many clients’ behalf, and we will work to ensure you reach a fair resolution of your claim so you can put this accident behind you.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact us at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation and learn how we can help.
Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.