How to Request a Crash Report | Fort Collins Injury Lawyers

Call (800) 863-5312 to Speak with Fort Collins Car Accident Lawyers for Free

If you have been involved in a car accident in Fort Collins, an official crash report can serve as a key document for pursuing compensation for medical bills, lost income, property damage, and all the other ways the accident cost you.

At Zinda Law Group, our car accident lawyers know the steps you should take after a wreck and can answer all your questions so you can make an informed decision on your best path forward.

To learn more about how we can help you, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 for a 100% free consultation with experienced auto accident attorneys in Fort Collins.

What Is a Crash Report?

A crash report, also known as an accident report, is a police officer’s record of the scene of a car crash directly after it happens.

If you ever find yourself in a Fort Collins car accident, it is crucial that you first get help for anyone who is injured or may be injured by calling 911, and then immediately contact law enforcement so that they can travel to you and document the scene in a crash report.

In Colorado, it is legally required that virtually every accident scene be documented by a crash report to be able to get reimbursed for damages.

Why Do I Need a Crash Report?

Obtaining an accident report is necessary–even if the accident is minor–because your insurance company will request a copy of the report to calculate how it plans to potentially reimburse you.
Your insurance company needs to determine who was at fault in the crash.

To pay you full damages, your insurer needs to determine that the other party caused the accident. If both you and the other driver may have contributed to the accident’s cause, your insurance company will want to break down what percent each of you is liable. This can be a complex process, and as you probably know well, the minutes after an accident can be a hectic time.

Because the police officer is a third-party observer, their record of the scene may serve as the most reliable source of information about the accident’s cause. For this reason, it is an extremely important document to ensure that your loss may be insured.

How to Get an Official Copy of a Crash Report in Fort Collins

To obtain an official copy of the report, visit this link for instructions provided by the City of Fort Collins that has directions about how to get an official crash report written by a police officer.

In the link above, you will see that the Police Services Department asks that you fill out a records release form.

The department provides ways to submit the form via email, fax, or mail, depending on what you prefer. After the department takes in your request, they will contact you via your preferred contact method to collect payment.

The fee amount they will be collecting is listed under the “Fee Schedule” in the link provided earlier. The department takes several different types of payment. You can also call (970) 221-6540 for help from the city with this process.

Our Fort Collins Car Accident Attorneys Can Help

At Zinda Law Group, our Fort Collins car accident lawyers have helped thousands of crash victims get their lives back on track after an accident. We have the knowledge and resources necessary to help you pursue maximum compensation for medical bills, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and more. And as one of our clients, you will pay nothing unless we win your case.

To get started with your claim, call Zinda Law Group at (800) 863-5312 to receive your free consultation with our personal injury lawyers in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.

Recommended Reading:

The 5 Most Important Things to Do After Your Injury

How Does State Farm Insurance Handle Injury Claims?

How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?